Sunday, September 7, 2008

Smells like teen spirit.

"I AM ready master Riven! I have mastered every cantrip known to magedom and I have mastered all the rituals you have given me." Korvus paced after Master Riven who was trying to escape his pursuing apprentice. "OK, maybe I don't have every ritual for my level memorized or copied into my personal book, but I can cast any of the effects from your own journals. At this point its just a matter of transcribing notes from your books."

"Then be happy child, at the mere age of 15 you have mastered all of the mystic world. You can go home now and become a master mage." The dripping sarcasm of Riven's tone was injuring but ultimately only an attempt to dislodge Korvus from his argument.

"Cantrips are wonderful shows and exhibitions and, as you have told me a thousand times, rituals are the bread and butter of a wizard's repertoire. But! if I can't evoke practical defensive spells I will hardly be considered a real wizard and you know it!"

"Defensive spells you say? I'm sorry, but I thought we were talking about the power to cause TITANIC ERUPTIONS OF EXPLOSIVE FIRE! I had no idea you were looking for defense." Riven stopped in the middle of the stairwell and looked chastisingly at his student for trying to phrase his sentence in a way to underplay the importance of the conversation.

"Master", Korvus began slowly as he met his master's critical gaze,"You have taught me time and again that prior preparation and ritual can move far more mountains than a ball of fire. So the power level of what I am asking can not be the issue on the table here. All I am asking is for some common powers that I can use at will in case I need something at a moments notice. Why are you holding me back from what I have seen you do a thousand times?" Korvus peered with honesty at Riven and awaited with a patience you can only learn by dealing with eccentric arch mages.

"Because Korvus", Riven said quietly,"as soon as you teach an apprentice to store magic within themselves for use at a moments notice they hop on a horse and run off on some fool's errand. Its the last door to open before the intoxication of adventure pulls them from their studies and gets them killed in a dungeon half way across the planes." Riven looked hard at Korvus and dissected him with his wizardly stare. "You have it in you. That crazed sense of adventure. Whether I show you or not....sooner or later you will be off in a cavern trying to steal a dragon's spell book or talk a mind flayer out of his mind blast techniques." Riven's face softened and Korvus saw the door into his masters heart.

"Well if I am to be off doing such foolish things surely you would not send me off unarmed and unprepared", he giggled as he rubbed his hands together and chided his master.

Riven took a deep breath and smiled as he let it out. "OK, in the morning you learn to throw the magic missile. After you master it I will teach you to conjure frost and fire."

"And if I learn all these things well...?, Korvus probed.

"And if all goes well", Riven finally conceded," we will summon the fire lord and bind you an elemental contract. After that, once per day or so you will be able to call forth a Flaming Sphere!"

"YES!", Korvus yelped in glee," I promise master, I will not leave you after I know these secrets. I will not leave your side till you say I am ready." Korvus's enthusiasm comes under control and he touches his master's robe. "And I promise master, I will never be far. Even after you send me off on my own. I owe you everything Riven. I will not forsake you."

Riven smiled, a soft gesture, with eyes that both believed a young mans words and at the same time knew a boys fickle heart. "I know son. I know"

No comments: