Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Maidens

He was 16 when he first saw her. She was new in the village and was the most striking mortal Korvus had ever seen. She reminded him of the fairies or the Eladrin in the feywild. She seemed in his mind, as perfect as humans could be in beauty. Her hair was a black that shined in the sun with a blue hue. Her eyes were slightly turned up in the corners and her cheekbones were pronounced and sharp. He had learned that she was orphaned and had come to the village to live with relatives. She was from a very far off land and her exotic look intoxicated Korvus's young heart in ways that made serious study imposable.
Korvus leered, slumped over, into the scrying orb with his face resting on his left hand and his right hand touching the crystal's surface as though to reach through and stroke her hair.

"SO! my young adept", Riven blurted from behind korvus in a way that made the young mage jump like a man caught stealing," I see you have mastered the scrying orb. Have you copied the incantations to use the orb into your spell book yet?"

"Yes, er, no. I mean... I have the ritual mastered, from your books...I just uh. Well, I haven't actually transcribed it completely yet. You always say that you should master a ritual..."

"What I always say Korvus", Riven sternly interjected," was that a good mage masters a ritual AS he transcribes it into his book. You are long past the days of needing repeated trials before copying."

"Yes master", was all Korvus could muster and his dejected tone came from the knowledge that master Riven was correct. He had mastered the ritual after one reading. All he needed to do was copy it into his book but every time he tried he found himself looking at her image.

Riven sighed and came to sit by the boy. "You are not applying yourself Korvus. You could be progressing much faster if you took the time to copy my notes. You are welcome to use my books and my library, but one day you will want to go home and you will not have access to all this. You need to think of your future lad."

"I know Master Riven, believe me I AM trying. But, I have been getting distracted", he stammered quietly.

"Yes", Riven commented a bit chidingly," and I can see why." The master peeked into the orb and looked at the girl gathering fire wood. "She is quite striking lad. A man could do worse to be certain."

Korvus blushed and gawked at Riven searching for something to say. "Master I..."

"Have no fear Korvus, there is nothing wrong with a young man finding a woman appealing. I am suprised you are so embarised. As I recall you were not shy about watching the Eladrin pairing parties in the feywild cities."

"That was different master, it seemed natural when they did it." Korvus looked down at his shoes and muttered,"They were confident, open, honest. When I look at her I feel no confidence and all I want to do is hide and...well, spy on her."

"Lad, we have a great deal to speak of today. I have forgotten that i was not just raising the worlds greatest adept, I am also raising a young man. Come, lets have some wine and chat."

No comments: