Sunday, September 28, 2008

Moving on

A lot had changed since Su Ming's death. Korvus had put a great deal more emphasis on combat spells and Riven held nothing back. After he was well Korvus led the villagers in raids all across the mountainside, wiping out every goblin tribe in sight. He had lost a bit of his innocence and had become a far more serious man than he had been as a child. He was a bit reckless at times, but master Riven tutored him on the tactics of combat. His mantra became, "Strike first, strike hard, fade away", and he lived it.
By the time the goblins tribes were all extinct Korvus was 20 years old. He had gotten a taste for battle and wanted to expand his spell repertoire in order to be better able to do his job. He studied hard but his progress slowed. "You have reached a plateau son. It happens to all apprentices", Riven said with a somber tone that was unlike him.

"What...what does that mean master? What do I have to do", Korvus asked with steely determination.

"It is simple my boy." Riven said, putting his arm around the young mans shoulders. "It means...you are a wizard Korvus. It is time for you to seek your destiny."

"But master, I have so much more to learn, I..."

"You know everything you need to know to for now son. You need stimulation for the magical currents within your body to grow. A wizard can not learn EVERYTHING in a library Kor. You need to go seek out your own place in this realm. You are no longer an apprentice. Like it or not, you are a wizard." Riven walked with Korvus and they passed through the grand hall of art together without speaking.

When they finally sat in the arboretum Korvus said," Master, where shall I go? What if I need you?"

"Only you can know your path now my son. And you shall see me from time to time when I return to this world."

Korvus's forehead wrinkled as he tried to process what was being said. "What do you mean, when you return to this world?"

Riven looked to the sky and smiled a little smile as he looked back at the young man he now considered a fellow mage. "I to need to expand my senses. It is time I accepted my epic destiny. For me to do that I will have to move the tower into the primordial planes. Only there can I complete my understanding of reality. Don't worry", Riven said teasingly, "if I discover anything great I will come teach in to you."

They both laughed. They both sat in the comfort of the other person. And in the morning, they both made ready for the most important trip of their lives.

No comments: